Tuesday 20 May 2014

Wax candle figure carving

In one of my previous experiments I carved Christian related symbols and an extract from the bible into a candle, which would then be left somewhere in the church, appearing to be a regular candle from a distance. Although this was very subtle and successful, I wanted to develop this idea and create something that had more of an impact. From this experiment I had found the wax was very easy to work with and so I therefore decided to carve a figure out of the wax.
To start me off I searched for a religious figurine to base my sculpture on, however this proved difficult to find. This is the figure I decided to use as a rough guide...

(figure image)


I started with a small but thick candle (the same as I had previously used) as I knew this would be easy to carve into. I used a wood carving knife to do this, starting from the top.

I found it very difficult to get the right shape at first, and so carved a rough figure out of the wax to begin with, going back to add more detail.


This is the figure just before it was finished. To add a modern intervention to it, I carved a small stack of magazines into the figures arms so she appeared to be holding them to her body. I then carved 'big issue' into the wax, however this wasn't noticeable so I painted it on with white paint and a very fine paintbrush, creating a big issue magazine distributor that first appears to be a religious figure.
I like the image on the left as it looks as if the figure has risen out of the flakes of wax, or the flakes have fallen away to reveal the figure. This links to the concept of miracles, which Christians commonly believe in as many are said to have taken place in the Bible.
I also find it interesting how this is still a candle, and so the figure could be melted away. But who would be melting, a religious figure that this first appears to be, or the big issue lady?
The link between these two identities is also very interesting. The first identity being the religious figure, and the second the distributor, but can these two identities be the same thing now days? Religious people are often keen to advertise their church and convert people to their religion, commonly adopting contemporary approaches such as setting up modern websites and giving out leaflets and fliers with contemporary designs. This then merges them into also being a distributer, trying to share and sell their religion and beliefs to people. Therefore this piece could question/comment on how religious people are becoming sales people.
 feel the outcome was successful as I achieved my aim. The figurative candle appears completely normal from a distance, and only when viewed up close can it be seen that it is actually a big issue lady (commonly recognised in society today). It can also have many other hidden connotations, making it all the more engaging.
Although time consuming, I found the wax very soft and easy to work with, and so with more time I would like to have been able to experiment with this further and create a range of outcomes, and perhaps a more complex one. If I were to do this again I would draw out some designs first so I could pick the most effective looking, and be fully aware of what I was going to carve before starting.












No comments:

Post a Comment