Wednesday 7 May 2014

Minature People

One of my ideas included creating a miniature scene from the bible. This scene would then be placed on/in a normal object, causing it to initially be overlooked.
After carrying out research on important events from the bible, I chose to recreate the scene of Adam and Eve eating the apple from the tree, and the birth of Jesus.
 
 
I started by buying architectural scale models in two sizes- 1:150 and 1:100
I then decided to use the 1:100 scale models for my scenes as this would allow me to include more detail.
 
1:150
 
1:100

 

 I started with the Adam and Eve scene as this required me to break and reshape the models. I wanted the pair to be seated on the ground and so had to cut off their legs with scissors and stick them back on at a different angle using super glue. I also bent Adam's arm round so he could be holding the apple, and cut and re-glued his other arm so the pair could be sitting cosily together.

For the birth of Jesus scene I selected the figures that looked most like the characters I aimed to portray. Left to right- Joseph, Mary, 2 shepherds, 3 wise men(3 kings).
To create the shepherds I had to cut the legs off of some of the 1:150 scale models, and use them to extend the walking sticks into shepherd's staffs. I cut the bodies of some of the models I didn't need into a manger and some bushes. I used sand paper to shape the models slightly and neaten them up. I could then move on to painting the models.

 I used acrylic paints as these stuck well to the plastic and didn't flake off when dried. For extra protection and shine I used clear top coat nail varnish to cover the finished models as this was cheap, easy to use and effective. I used a very fine paint brush to paint the models. I made the top of the tree out of a ball of cotton wool rolled in acrylic paint, which dried hard.

 The 3 kings...
 
Adam and Eve, Mary and Joseph, 2 shepherds, 3 wise men...

Although it took a lot of time to shape and paint the figures, I feel this was successful. I managed to include enough detail for the figures to be fairly recognisable, yet they are small enough to be overlooked. I found the acrylic paint effective at coating the figures however some of the colours appeared lumpy and sticky. This may be due to the paint being old, dried out or cheap, and so If I were to do this again, with more money, I would buy enamel paints as they fit the purpose more and so may have been more effective.
Now that I have created the figures I am going to visit the church on a research trip to search for places I may be able to place them.
I also had the idea to place one of scenes inside a mug, which I could leave on the side somewhere in the church, which will cause the work to be overlooked initially. I will fill the mug with soil and then place the scene on top, enabling it to be easily seen when walked up to.

Taking into account my research on the Chapman brothers, I came up with the idea to place modern twists into these scenes. Therefore I am going to add in discrete interventions, such as giving one of the shepherds a mobile phone or making Adam and Eve appear to be taking a selfie. This will then keep the viewers thinking, making them engage more with the work. They will first overlook it, then realise something isn't quite right, only to realise its fine because the intervention they find is to do with Christianity and so it does after all fit in and belong in the church. However this will create a false sense of security as they will then spot the modern twist, being fooled once again, with this tiny detail perhaps causing slight controversy.
Leading on from this idea I am going to explore putting modern twists into more of my outcomes as I feel this will make the work more engaging and controversial. I may also experiment with creating more controversial scenes in other ways, such as making the characters appear to be playing childish games or fighting.

Finished nativity scene...







I really like this scene as it straight away appears to be a nativity scene, but the phone being held by the shepherd isn't noticeable at first. I feel many interpretations could be taken from this, but primarily the scene appears to juxtapose old with new, much like the Chapman brothers do. If this scene was to happen present day, it is very likely that someone would be taking photos or videos of the couple and the new-born. This has almost become a tradition of births today. Everything else that happens has small links, such as the wise men making a long journey to see the baby and bringing gifts, which still happens in a sense today as family and friends make longs journeys bringing presents for the new arrival. However technology has now injected itself into this age old tradition, and so maybe this scene is bridging the gap between old and new, contrasting them, or questioning the developments in technology, society, and life in general. On the other hand, the scene could just be viewed as humorous. I feel all of the above is what makes it a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment