Monday 26 May 2014

Nuns

 As another more subtle twist to my project, I am going to place one final piece of work into the exhibition that wont be shown on my map. I will place it in a very subtle place that it wont easily be noticed, which will truly test if viewers have been persuaded into opening their eyes and their minds to overlooked art. Due to the very subtle nature of how it will be presented, I have made this my most controversial and shocking piece of work, greatly inspired by the Chapman brothers. 
The use of nudity and a weapon can be interpreted in many different ways depending on the perspective of the viewer, which is an effect that both Antony Gormley and the Chapman brothers utilize in their work. Both produce work with a sense of mystery and uncertainty, which I found to be very engaging and visually interesting. This is why I have tried to recreate this effect. However much like the work of the Chapman brothers, this piece of work could also be viewed and interpreted very simply: as a group of nuns just having some fun! 
Whatever the interpretation, I feel this piece of work will provoke a reaction from viewers, which is what I am aiming to do.





Another aspect that I feel makes this piece of work so important is the fact that I will be secretly placing a real intervention into my own finished project/exhibition of work. There is a sense of irony in this, as it is usually other artists intervening with an artists work. I will be intrigued as to whether people notice this intervention, and how they will react if they do. However if they don't, this wont necessarily be a bad thing. The project will retain its mysterious and undiscovered final piece, and this will reflect how not all forms of art are recognized or discovered, some will always just be overlooked.
It may also reflect how out of touch we are with the world now, maybe due to the increase in new technology. Maybe we fail to look around enough and take in and appreciate our surroundings. Maybe this is due to having our eyes glued to screens all the time. 
With all of my other pieces of work, I am preventing this from happening, as I am motivating people to open their eyes and discover overlooked art. However this piece will be the real test to whether this has worked after the trail has ended.
Whilst at the exhibition I will have to keep my eye out for anyone discovering this last piece so that I can witness their reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment