Monday 26 May 2014

Exhibition ideas

To begin planning how and where I would present my work at the exhibition, I started by visiting the Church. I spent a longer period of time there this time, trying to get a feel for the space and seek out overlooked places I could present my work. This sparked the idea that I could take the viewers on a journey similar to mine. At the start of the project it was me having to open my eyes and search for overlooked/unnoticed art. However if I were to place pieces of my work around the church in overlooked places, perhaps giving the viewer a map to follow, they could embark on their own journey to search for my intervention based art. This would then make the whole experience a lot more interesting and engaging.
Therefore I decided to map out potential areas I could place my work by drawing up a quick plan of the Church. I also photographed each potential area/object/space to help with the selection process. 
Developing my idea for presenting my work, I am going to draw this Church plan on Photoshop, and place it into a leaflet that will guide the viewers on their journey, whilst also explaining my theme, aims, influences and work. I will then present a small batch of these leaflets in my space (and so I will need to find a container/stand for them).

Plan...



Potential areas...





Exhibition aim- 
I am going to set up an engaging hunt for work, that will motivate viewers to open their eyes and discover the overlooked art that is all around them. I aim to bring them back into touch with their surroundings, much like the artist Ben Wilson does. He transforms something rejected into something beautiful, and so drawing inspiration from this I am going to turn something overlooked into something beautiful, right before the viewers eyes. This may be the overlooked bottle that is actually 'Holy Water', relaying interesting water related quotes from the bible, or it may be some of the figures, illustrating overlooked religious people and qualities they may have (such as a sense of humour!). It could be the plain looking candle that is actually illustrated with religious symbols all relating back to the church, or the stain glass window design and some of the figures that provoke us to think about how technology is a major part of our lives now and how this is effecting us. The format of this transformation (intervention) was inspired by the Chapman brothers, as I have previously mentioned. Upon visiting some of their work I found it to be intriguing, enigmatic, visually interesting, yet also aesthetically pleasing. I found the intervention aspect the most powerful, as it provoked a reaction from viewers and made them reconsider their initial judgements. This is what I am aiming to do with my work in this exhibition. I want to draw viewers in, deceive them with particular pieces of work, and make them rethink their first opinions and judgements. I hope that through my Church based interventions, including a little humour and some modern twists, I will be able to achieve this.

Through the use of my map I aim to guide the viewers on their journey, hopefully making them excited to discover the work. I want them to experience a journey searching for overlooked art much like I did, to enable them to share my experience and perhaps understand my work a little better. I hope that once they begin the journey in the same way that I did, they will start to see things how I did, however will be able to interpret these things in their own personal way. I feel this will all contribute to making the project feel a lot more welcoming and fun, which may help bring people together much like Ben Wilson aims to do.
Obstacles that I may face could be pieces of my work not being found, or being ruined. To try and avoid this I will carefully consider the placement of my work, discussing it with Justin and my class. I will ensure everything can be seen by people of any age or height, and isn't in a position where it could be accidentally damaged.

No comments:

Post a Comment