Tuesday 20 May 2014

Priests lightsaber dual and Monks

To add a sense of humour to my work I decided to create two priests having a lightsaber dual. I feel this shows that despite being highly regarded, people like this can still have fun and enjoy them selves, even if in a childish manner. It is something that we wouldn't expect priests to be doing and so has a slight shock factor, along with a bit of humour to fully engage the viewers.
Previously I found that Charles Bronson and the Chapman brothers both aimed to shock viewers like this in particular pieces of their work. What differentiates the brothers from Bronson is that they use humour and connotations in their work which isn't immediately obvious, and so can often be overlooked initially. They fool the viewer, drawing them into the work, encouraging them to discard of their initial judgement on the piece and really understand what it is, the message, etc. This is the type effect that I aim to create. However this differs from Bronson's approach, which is very obvious and frank, a clear message often coming across thanks to his brutal honesty.
Bronson also sticks to two dimensional work due to this being the only materials provided for him in prison, whereas the work of the Chapman brothers is very sculptural. I have utilized both of these methods (e.g My holy water label is 2D, and my wax carving 3D) and also combined them to create work (My doodles carved into a wax candle based on 2 dimensional designs).

Creation of the priests-


To create the grey haired priest (below) I started with a figure that was in a sitting position. I cut off the legs with a  pair of scissors, before sticking them back on in a more obtuse angle from the body (so the figure appeared to be standing with bent legs/squatting).
For both of the figures I had to cut the arms off to enable me to stick them back on in a position which appeared as if they were holding something. I chose differing positions to make the dual look more life like, as if it were an action shot.
I used a piece of nickel wire to create the lightsabers.
I had to sand down the feet slightly with sand paper to ensure the figures could stand properly.
I could then paint the figures to make them look like priests, as I had done before.




 Once finished I brought the figures into my class, discovering that people found them interesting and amusing, not realising they were priests at first but finding it even more amusing when they realised. Therefore I achieved my aim and created a successful, effective piece of work that I can include in my exhibition collection.
I particularly like how strangely natural they look engaging in this dual, which I think is due to the black outfits and opposing lightsabers. However I feel the painting on these figures was slightly sloppy and the gloss finish quite uneven as I handled the figures before they had fully dried. I will have to be careful not to do this in future.

Monks...
I plan to have these monks hanging from a single piece of string, as if they are all trying to scramble up it. I will then hang the string from a pillar or the balcony.

No comments:

Post a Comment