Monday 26 May 2014

Developing my exhibition ideas

To aid me with my leaflet design I began collecting Church leaflets that I could draw inspiration from. I collected leaflets from the Holy Trinity Church, as well as some good examples of Church leaflets that I found online. These can all be found in my research folder.

A common property I found among these leaflets was the tri-fold format, made out of a single sheet of A4 paper, which proved an effective way of presenting information. These leaflets were small enough to carry around easily, yet big enough to hold a lot of information. I found some to be crammed with a little too much text, however others included just the right balance of text, photos, and even a map. I drew inspiration from the pros of these leaflets, and learnt from the cons.
I then began designing on Microsoft Publisher. I chose this program as it allows me to set up a page in the tri-fold leaflet format and edit every aspect of the leaflet. I could apply templates, create my own templates, create a master page, insert pictures, customize the colour scheme, font, etc. Therefore I felt this would be the most effective program to use.


To create my map for viewers to follow I chose to use Photoshop. I felt this would be the most appropriate program to use due to the wide range of drawing and editing tools. Photoshop allowed me to draw out the map using various shapes, lines, and colours, adding in the finer details at the end. I could also measure out the size of my map using the grid and ruler tools to ensure it would fit into the space I left for it in my leaflet. I could have drawn out a neater coloured version of my map using pens, pencils or paint, however I felt that digitally producing the map would result in a much more polished and  professional looking outcome, which I would also be able to go back and edit if I needed to.

I decided to mark the area that each piece of work will be presented in a different coloured circle, and so once at this area the viewer will have to look around themselves for the work. By only marking a general area on the map, this makes the hunt a lot more engaging and involves the viewer in the work more. It will also allow me to slightly tweak the location of the work if I need to (such as if a problem arises and I cant place something where I originally planned, I will still be able to place it somewhere in the marked area without needing to redo the map).

No comments:

Post a Comment