Wednesday 23 April 2014

Trips- Eastleigh

For my next trip I went to Eastleigh. I chose this destination as I have never been there before and so the environment would be new to me, and I wouldn't be able to predict the results I would find. I travelled by train in the hopes of finding overlooked artwork on the train itself and on the journey.
As opposed to planning the walking part of my journey beforehand like I did in the previous experiment, I took the journey as it came, searching for interesting looking roads, alleyways, car parks, etc. whilst recording the route I was taking. This produced much more interesting results as there were no restrictions within the journey, and so I found a larger quantity of overlooked art.
As I had already explored photography as a method of recording, I decided this time I would explore drawing. I organised my time to allow for this, however set myself a 5 minute limit on each drawing in the hope that this would give assemblage of art a greater sense of movement rather than it being a static set of drawings.

I would like to have collected more results as I feel this would have made a more dynamic piece of work. I could have done this by extending the journey and giving myself more time. I feel I should have also photographed my findings alongside drawing them to record with the rest of my primary research.

 
 
My findings in Eastleigh greatly contrasted my findings in Lee on Solent. Eastleigh is a much more suburban place in comparison, with a more diverse range of inhabitants. This appeared to reflect within my findings, as the styles and forms of artwork I found were very broad, however much more urban. Stencils and graffiti appeared much more popular, perhaps due to the larger quantity of the younger generation living here. This also suggests the artwork was slightly more planned rather than created in a spontaneous moment of creativity.
I found it interesting that I discovered artwork on the train itself, as in my previous journey I had found nothing on my chosen method of transport (the bus). The train was travelling all the way to London Waterloo, stopping at a wide range of places on the way. This made me wonder when exactly on the journey the artwork had been created, what location, where the creator was from, and what this information could suggest.
 
 For my next journey I will explore a much more rural place to see the effect this has on the artwork created and found there. I will revert back to using photography as my chosen method of recording, as this proved quick, easy, and reliable, and this will enable me to add my findings into my archive of overlooked/unnoticed art.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment