Sunday 27 April 2014

Plant experiment


For this experiment I focused on manipulating something natural (a plant), as I think viewers would least expect to find an intervention on a natural object. I selected one of my primary research photos that  I felt was a successful piece of overlooked art with a natural aesthetic, and so therefore would fit in with the plant.
I carefully removed a leaf from the plant and carved the selected drawing out of it using a scalpel. This was an effective piece of equipment to use as it cleanly and easily cut through the leaf, and so made the process a lot quicker.
I then placed the leaf back into the plant pot in a position in which it appeared natural, as if it had never been removed.



What I find interesting about this piece is that it is quite hard to notice the intervention at first without looking at the plant properly, however as the damaged leaf inevitably dies, it changes colour and begins to stand out, gradually drawing increased attention to the intervention.
This could also connote a comment on how public artwork often causes damage. Here the leaf has been damaged by the artwork (as it has been removed from the plant and then carved into). This relates to how public artwork can damage its surroundings and the environment. Examples of this are graffiti on walls, bus stops, doodles on windows, tables, chairs. The product can be skilful and aesthetically pleasing however damage may have been caused to these 'canvases' (objects). Is this right?

No comments:

Post a Comment